For those of you keeping up, you may have noticed a new face recently. I have finished a new commissioned anglerfish, Ceratias holboelli. The piece is centered around the female with two attached males.
With my last post I focused a lot on my overall process, which was quite similar to this piece. This time I wanted to focus on the progression of the watercolor as it is done layer by layer. So I have put together a slideshow for you to see the changes.
I also wanted to take a moment to touch on the specimens I used to complete this project. These fish were photographed from the Burke Museum of Natural History and Culture Ichthyology Collection. Katherine Maslenikov, the collections manager, graciously allowed me access to the specimens without which I would not have been able to complete this project. The fish are in amazing condition and seeing an attached male gave me the ability to more accurately depict these amazing deep sea fishes. I am amazed by something new everyday I am in the collection and owe them all a huge thank you!